AGM 27th September 2021


Minutes – 27 September 2021 Green Wedmore AGM
Welcome

Apologies from Melvyn, Rupert, Lisa Hall and Mike Rogers

Previous Action points – All mopped up in the individual groups

Carbon/Nature group update - Wild for Wildlife in Wedmore (WWW) brochures now produced and will be given out at events with suggested donation of £1. Community Woodland – feedback asking for the tree image and listings to be put on website along with walking directions. Action: SM to obtain original from Rob Richley.

Time to re-kindle relationship with the First School. Action: DH to email Andy Wookey.
Somerset Trails app is live, with some glitches. Please email info@adaptingthelevels.co.uk with information on any problems so they can be fixed.

Village Hall/Adapting the Levels project has applied for funding for further designs and a community event around a potential nature friendly and climate adapted water permeable car park surface.
Thanks to Neil Ellis for making new hedgehog houses for Worthington Woods.

Energy group update – Solar 1000 challenge continues to go well, 10th install in the village now completed with 6 more booked for Oct. This would take the total to 72.35kw. It was agreed to send gentle reminder to participants re: donation of £50 discount to Green Wedmore. Leaflets have been distributed. Action: Anyone want to deliver to Cocklake/Crickham and Clewer? Please contact stevemewes415@gmail.com

Theale Village Hall has a solar install booked.

With current fuel crisis and soaring energy prices, now is the best time for households to look to switch to renewables, electric vehicles, and improve home insulation.

Grant approved for wind feasibility study – application for an extension to complete the work. Action: Any offers to help co-ordinating, contact Sonya.

Food group update – The Cook Book is selling well – about 450 copies so far at various events. Loans are now repaid and looks to be £1,800 in profit so far. Good work by DH organising deals with local businesses, estate agents etc.

Lisa Hall has approached the group and is scoping the possibility of a Zero Waste shop in the village. The group will support as much as possible. Contact Lisa if you want to get involved.

Housing group update – Nothing to report.
 
Transport group update – Parish council unsuccessful in bid for funding for a cycle repair station. Alternatives being looked at include New Inn lending basic pump/repair kit to cyclists. Hoped more businesses will follow suit. Discussion around updating/improving cycle racks like those in Abbey Car Park, Glastonbury.
 
Car charging points continue to be discussed at Parish Council. Support from them but many installers reluctant as Wedmore doesn’t fit their business model. Concern a payment app may not work due to poor 3G/4G coverage. Those with domestic chargers encouraged to add theirs to the Zap Map and rent out.

Wellbeing group update – The planned Health and Wellbeing event has been cancelled, but new directories are to be distributed soon.

Parish Council Update – Wedmore by Lamplight date 8th December – opportunity to have stall for cook books, WWW brochures etc. Heather Hector is key contact.
Housing Associations are not accessing Parish Council CiL money as part of Warmer Wedmore (due to expire soon). David Cox to continue pursuing.

AGM business – See appendix for key achievements over 2020/1.

Treasurer update – 2020 was a difficult year financially due to Covid – no fundraising events, but running costs were ongoing. Therefore net loss reported of £1,270. Full report attached.

Finances looking healthier for 2021 with current balance of £3,600 (50% of these funds have been from cook book sales). Awaiting result of Wedmore Real Ale festival funding application for Woodland maintenance.

Post holders – VBH stepping down as Chair. She was thanked for all her hard work and presented with a gift. The following were voted in:

Chair: Steve Mewes to stand on temp basis (proposed: A Lamb, seconded: T Munt)

Vice Chair: Sonya Bedford (proposed: D Bunt, seconded: D Cox)

Treasurer: David Bunt (proposed: S Bedford, Seconded: D Hopkins)

Secretary: Jointly David Hopkins & Liz Burton (proposed: V Becker-Hughes, seconded: D Bunt)
Agreed VBH will continue to produce Facebook posts, Nikki will continue with website maintenance and take on MailChimp, LB/DH responsible for minutes, advertising, publicity, agendas.

AOB – Big Tidy Up – 31 October 10am Borough House / Repair CafĂ© booked for 4th December 10am-1pm in Village Hall. Action: AL organizing / Moth to a Flame project, Action: SB to share info/instructions.
 
 
Some Key Green Wedmore Achievements 2020-2021
 
  • Remained active and continued meetings online throughout the pandemic
  • New Zero Carbon subgroup created – Carbon & Nature
  • Successful grant application of £8k for wind power feasibility study
  • Freecycle events continued and adapted
  • Walking event took place
  • Cycling event
  • Plant up day at Worthington Woods
  • Purchase of 1,000 oak tree whips – saved from destruction and now homed
  • Editorial in local press on nature issues (Hedgehog Highways)
  • Bat boxes donated, sponsored and sited in Worthington Woods
  • Hedgehog houses donated
  • Nature youth photo competition
  • Online crowdfunder raised over £1,200
  • Bee Houses made
  • Talks on nature and yoga
  • Talk by heat pump expert
  • Solar power talk
  • Wild for Wildlife in Wedmore launched
  • Solar 1000 challenge launched – 10 installs so far
  • Plans for similar heat pump project
  • Cookbook produced and its profit will help future projects
  • Raised profile at many community events – Summer Fayre, WRAF, Theale
  • Several successful grant applications
  • Kept website and social media current and updated
  • Became GDPR compliant
  • Sonya as an expert speaker has raised GW’s profile and donated fees to the group
  • Mothing event
  • Participated in Moths to a Flame Project for COP26
  • Numerous watering and mulching sessions at Worthington Woods
  • Card payment machine purchased
  • Street light/light pollution discussions
  • Obtained solar panels for the Bowls Club
  • Distribution of forest packs of trees
  • Organised litter picks and loaned out equipment

Treasurers report can be found here